Eat Well For the Rest of Your Life

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Priestesses of High Carb Darkness

A month ago, I included a discussion of protein, carbohydrate and fat ratios. Rereading it, I realize that I casually assume that people are not fat phobic. It's quite possible that among you, there are priestesses of high carb darkness. I run into them often. I was with a woman at work the other day who said she wouldn't eat avocados - too high in fat. These women often eat very small amounts of protein and fat - like 10-15% of calories as protein and 20% or less as fat. I used to eat like this often. April's been there, too.

My theory is that many women easily fall into this eating pattern. They happily eat lots of lots of carbs. It's easy to do. Bagels for breakfast. Pasta for lunch. A casserole for dinner. Women often seem to lose their taste for meats and easily become near vegetarians. Low fat is not hard for them.

When I ate like this I felt really crummy. I had no energy. I easily went into blood sugar swings. When I started tracking my diet with a tool, I was shocked. I was only getting 30g of protein a day. I was only getting 50% or less of most B vitamins. I was hungry all the time and craving lots of odd foods. I had headaches every time I went more than 4 hours without food. I was easily stressed. My weight was slowly climbing and dieting never really worked for long.

If you are eating like this, and having any of the same problems, please try my P/C/F ratios. Try eating Zone - or close to Zone ratios of 30/40/30. You may be surprised at how much better you feel after a week or two. You may regain your interest in protein foods. And don't be afraid of some good oil - monounsaturated oils should be you focus - olive oil, almonds, avocados are all good oils.

1 Comments:

  • Mary, I agree completely. It was only when I left Lo-fatLAND and turned a Zone zealous that I could maintain and enjoy CR!

    See this for the current view of more zonish dieting than years ago.

    By Blogger Willie, at 4:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home