Eat Well For the Rest of Your Life

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

April and Applebees

April and her mom ate at Applebees yesterday from the Weight Watchers menu. I am not a fan of Weight Watchers. The focus on calories without nutritional consequences worries me. I am sure most men eating 1800 calories or more on WW are getting reasonable nutrition. But what about 1200 calorie or less a day women? No way.

I've been on a hundred diets before I started eating well five years ago. They never worked - at least not for very long. I think my current diet has worked for me because I am well nourished. I feel great. I am never sick. And I am not hungry.

Looking at the WW menu from Applebees, there are several dishes that would qualify as EW4L dishes, as well as WW. And there are some that would not.

Berry Lemon Cheesecake - If it's your birthday, yes. Otherwise, let someone else order it and just have one or at the most TWO bites. See my recommendations on desserts. Remember, cheesecake is on the once in a great while list.

Chocolate Raspberry Layer Cake - NO, NO, NO - there is no redeeming value.

Grilled Shrimp Skewer Salad - This looks very good - shrimp for protein, mixed greens, sugar snap peas and tomatoes. I might even go to Applebees myself.

Grilled Tilapia with Mango Salsa - Also a good choice. You might leave some or all of the rice on the plate if you are eating less than 1200 calories a day.

Mesquite chicken salad - Go ahead - this looks a lot tastier than the McDonalds salads.

Onion Soup Au Gratin - No. I don't get it. I am not a fan of reduced fat cheese. It reminds me of Elmer's glue.

Sizzling Chicken Skillet - This looks healthy, but I am suspecting that the supposed 360 calories does not include the 2 whole wheat tortillas, which would bring the total up closer to 500. I may be wrong though - in which case, this is a nice choice.

Tango Chicken Sandwich - Too much bread, not enough vegetables for 370 calories.

Teriyaki Shrimp Skewers - Another good choice - 290 calories and lot of meat and vegetables.

Tortilla Chicken Melt - Not the best choice. 460 calories, with more of the reduced-fat cheese and lots of tortillas. The other 5 good choices are a lot better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home